Skip to content

The Ampell Acro

Here’s a rare bird- the Ampell Acro, a .177 break barrel CO2 gun that was manufactured briefly in the 1970s. It’s been described as a replica of the Thompson Center Contender pistol, but while there’s a strong resemblance, I don’t think that was necessarily the only inspiration. When I look at the Acro, I see a classic free pistol design from the 19th century of the sort that probably inspired the Contender as well.

More photos and details from a devoted CO2 airgun collector may be found here.

12 Comments

1. Peggy Denniston Smit wrote:

My father was Ed Denniston, President and founder of Ampell. I really got a kick coming across any reference to the old “plink N whiz”. It’s cool to see that there is still some intrest out there !

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 10:26 am | Permalink
  2. George Quartell wrote:

I’ve come into possession of an Ampell ACRO I Plink n Whiz 80 shot repeater BB pistol. Its gas seal is apparently shot — it doesn’t hold any CO2, even after using a drop of Pellgun oil.

Any recommendations for an airgunsmith who can replace the seal and do an overall “health check” on this now-treasured toy?

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  3. mje wrote:

Try these guys: http://www.jgairguns.biz/

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink
  4. George Quartell wrote:

Thanks, I will.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink
  5. david grabowski wrote:

A local gun store that was going out of business was selling these brand new in the box for $15 each not so long ago. I bought 3 or 4 for gifts and still have one. Something tells me I should have bought a lot more. Any value on these?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:00 am | Permalink
  6. mje wrote:

Re value: I see Pyramid had one for $80. I suspect a collector might pay $60-100, depending on condition, and whether the original box and papers were included. A really mint unit in the box with all the paperwork might go for $120 or more.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:10 am | Permalink
  7. Frogger wrote:

I have a plink N whizz pistols and I’m selling it. Anyone interested?

Friday, April 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink
  8. Tony DeMurray wrote:

I am if you still have it.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
  9. James Kleinedler wrote:

I have a “Plink N Whiz” Acro I (.177 cal. pellet pistol for sale. It is is very good condition plus I have the box in fair condition. No papaerwork. Not sure if it holds pressure. Anyone interested?

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 4:08 pm | Permalink
  10. Mark Emmert wrote:

I would be interested in purchasing if not too expensive. I have one I bought at a garage sale and I spent a good deal of time rebuilding but it does shoot quite hard and accurate when done.

Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:35 am | Permalink
  11. Mark Emmert wrote:

Anyone happen to have a spare grip / co2 cover they would want to turn loose of???

Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:39 am | Permalink
  12. Trevor wrote:

I rather like the BB Magnum rifle!

Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 6:21 pm | Permalink