Skip to content

The Webley-Scott Tempest

No other airgun seems as ineffably British as the Webley Tempest. In part, this is because the Tempest has perhaps the longest history of any British gun- perhaps any airgun; it’s a direct descendant from the 1924 Webley Mark I, and functionally, it’s not all that different. Having been around longer than any of its competitors, the Tempest has traditionally been the first serious air pistol for most British shooters- the one you moved up to from the GAT.

Beeman imported these for a while and sold  a few accessories for it, like the trigger shoe seen on this giun and a US-made holster:

Paradoxically enough, given its popularity, the Tempest is not a particularly accurate gun, or a particularly pleasant gun to shoot. Trigger pull is extremely high- higher than any air or powder arm I’ve ever owned; only by adding a wide trigger shoe could I make it even reasonably easy to shoot.(Newer Tempests have a factory-supplied wider trigger.) Accuracy is low, with 1-1/2″ to 2″ groups at 10 meters being common. Cocking is difficult, given the peculiar folded air path design, and getting the barrel to lock up the same way every shot is problematic.

So why is it that the gun still sells well today, even with so many more accurate, cheaper guns around? And more curiously, why is it that I- someone who repeats Warren Page’s contention that “the only interesting guns are accurate guns” like a mantra- why is it that I continue to keep this pistol, while having bought and sold scores of better air pistols over the past few decades?

I could say, like some, that its inaccuracy, clumsiness, and reverse recoil make it a good firerarms trainer for basement practice. Of course, as I haven’t done any firearm pistol shooting in ages, that would be a bit or a stretch. Or I might argue, as others do, that it’s a good gun to introduce new shooters to the sport, which would be an even bigger lie. It’s a dreadful gun for that.

The real attraction of the Tempest is precisely that it is such a difficult, fussy, and eccentric gun- in other words, and quintissentially English gun, brought to you by the makers of the Webley-Fosberry Automatic Revolver, and, for that matter, the same nation that gave us Monty Python, Cricket, and great eccentrics like Lord Rokeby, who endevored to spend his entire life floating in water. Every time I pick up my Tempest, I am reminded of Great Britain, and all her eccentricities, and her many charms. Long may she prosper.

Update: The Tempest was discontinued, owing to costs of production in the UK, but it was brought back as a gun manufactured by Hatsan in Turkey. Not quite the same same gun, but unless you can find a used one, the only way to get one today.

50 Comments

1. Craig wrote:

Presently on the search for a looked after Webley tempest, I’m in the UK , preferably a .22 calibre

Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink
  2. cordell wrote:

I am looking for a parts diagram for the Webley Tempest .177……….Any help would certainly appreciated..

Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink
  3. Wim Collaris wrote:

Hello Cordell,

my book of Gordon Bruce’s Webley Air Pistols has a parts diagram for the Tempest. I can scan it and sent it to you. But I need your e-mail address.

CU Wim

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
  4. Wim Collaris wrote:

Hello Cordell,

just found a diagram for a pre may 3rd 1984 tempest. http://www.mek-schuetzen.de/Blueprints/webley_tempest.gif

CU Wim

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
  5. Wim Collaris wrote:

Just found the same diagram, but now with the parts list.http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/Garvin1/WebleyTempestCustom.jpg

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink
  6. BRIAN JOHN CLARKE wrote:

HELLO
    just bought a tempest but not used it much yet,am wondering if it is possible to fit a scope,my eyes not so good these days.
    If so where can i get one with mount.
    cheers brian

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:46 am | Permalink
  7. Wim Collaris wrote:

Hello Brian,

the hurricane and typhoon had a scope option, which places the scope behind the barrel and rear sight, on the frame. This way you are able to cock the gun (by tipping the barrel). But the tempest does not have that option.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink
  8. BRIAN JOHN CLARKE wrote:

thankes wim,appreciate your response,will explore further options

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink
  9. BRIAN JOHN CLARKE wrote:

hi cordell you can get diagram and parts list from T W CHAMBERS just go online and check website

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
  10. Wim Collaris wrote:

Hello Brian: an example what I mean: http://arms-gallery.dk/images/luft-haglvåben/luftrifler/webley-scott/ws-hurricane-scp.jpg

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 5:22 am | Permalink
  11. Steve K wrote:

I have a Webley tempest air pistol for sale. I bought it new in 1991 and it is complete and just “as new” in the original box with the receipt, manuals and all paper work. It came with the custom wood grip option and was purchased from a local authorized dealer. I am open to an offer and I am located in the US.
    Email me: xerk200-steve@yahoo.com

Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 12:31 am | Permalink
  12. Bimmerland wrote:

I have a Tempest S/N 025207. Can you tell me the date of manufacture and was it made in the US or UK. Company could not help. Thanks

Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink
  13. mje wrote:

All original Tempests were made by Webley in the UK.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink
  14. Gary Huth wrote:

I have owened my Webley Tempest and would not sell it AT ALL. Love this airgun ! Sold a Mark 4 years ago and wish I kept that pistol. And I find it great to shoot with a nice little kick. I hit my targets well. One pump produces plenty of power.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  15. Jeff Padgett wrote:

I need an o-ring for this weapon, can you assist?

WEBLEY & SCOTT, LTD. – Birmingham, England
    Model: Mark II – 3rd Variant Break Barrel Cocking Spring Piston Single Shot Air Rifle
    Caliber: .22

Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
  16. peter wolfenden. wrote:

how should i oil my as new tempest 177.where do i put the oil and how often.is 3 in 1 ok.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink
  17. mje wrote:

Never use 3-in-1 or any petroleum oil internally. You should occasionally wipe it down with a good polarized oil like Birchwood Casey Sheath, and put a tiny drop of a good gun lubricant on the various pivot points if they make noise.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink
  18. peter wolfenden. wrote:

underneath the forsight is webley &scott then a ltter f.what does the f indicate?

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink
  19. Mike Sacks wrote:

I have had my Tempest in .177 since the early 80’s. It is always on my desk in my office. Across the room I have a wood framed target trap using clay as the back stop. It gets exercised frequently!

Friday, March 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink
  20. john wrote:

can anybody tell me how i can geta owners manual tempest.22

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink
  21. mje wrote:

Try here: http://www.tumke.nl/PDFdocumenten/TempestManual.pdf

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink
  22. jose martinez wrote:

does anybody have a tempest for sale a 22 or 177 in the states if so call me at 847-366-5266

Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink
  23. phil wrote:

Came across a Beeman Webley Hurricane .177
    1982,with scope, box / manuals / etc. Not sure of the value.

Monday, March 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink
  24. mje wrote:

The last one I found on line sold for $230, but I suspect it could get more at a collector’s sale.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink
  25. Brian Croucher wrote:

I have a Webley Tempest for sale ,it is .22 and in very good condition ,please contact on line or phone 01225703298.

Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 7:12 am | Permalink
  26. I am looking for wooden grips without the thumb shelf for my tempest.Ihave seen some on e bay but you cant examine them.they are described as combat grips.has anyone bought some and are they ok.I live manchester area.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 4:56 am | Permalink
  27. Ed wrote:

I have an old Hurricane and a question. I seem to have a little bit of lateral movement in the barrel and my accuracy is terrible. I can group fine with other pistols and used to be in a shooting club. My question is in 2 parts. Could the movement in the barrel be throwing off my shots, and is there anything I can do to fix this? my email is ed.married2.debz@gmail.com

Monday, April 18, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink
  28. mje wrote:

If it’s loose in the front, at the pivot, it’ll take some serious work to fix that. If the rear of the barrel is loose, it may just need a new seal. It’s normal for there to be a lot of fexibility in the linkage before the barrel is locked down, so as long as it locks up solid don’t worry about the front pivot.

The Tempests is a lot more difficult to shoot than other air pistols. It’s very hold sensitive, has a heavy trigger and the recoil is opposite from most spring guns. You need a consistent grip that’s not too firm and a good follow through. I added a large trigger shoe to mine, which helps. If you can find a set of wooden grips with the thumbrest, that will help, too.

Monday, April 18, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink
  29. Greg Dunne wrote:

Hi I have a mint webley hurricane 22 cal for sale.It was purchased new in 2003 probably around the same time webley went out of business only fired a few times.If you’re interested make an offer email: dunnes@shaw.ca

Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink
  30. james thompson wrote:

have for sale webly & scott ltd tempast 177cal in as new condition any offers

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink
  31. james thompson wrote:

also in 1st class condition typhoon .22cal any offers or pics can be posted

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 7:45 am | Permalink
  32. joe b wrote:

Hello. I have a webley tempest .177. Bought about 12 years ago. Have fired about 100X. Bought new from Cabela’s. somewhere along the way, a pellet got jammed in the barrel. anyone know how to fix? where to have fixed that is economical? might consider selling as is. perfect condition otherwise. live in the U.S.

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink
  33. mje wrote:

Push it out with a cleaning rod. If you want to sell it, contract me at mje@spamcop.net.

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink
  34. John Roberts wrote:

I have Tempest .177 for sale as new.Fired 10 – 15 times offers?

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink
  35. Bogdan Chesaraicu wrote:

Hello,

I have a Webley&Scott Mark I from my grandfather.SN 16531. The gun is in good condition and working OK. Does anyone have any idea how much can I get for it ?

Bogdan

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:39 am | Permalink
  36. mje wrote:

Depending on condition, between $200 and $300. Exceptional guns, and guns with the box, can bring more.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:56 am | Permalink
  37. fred gladden wrote:

Do you know where I can obtain a copy of the basic maintenance instructions for the webley Tempest?

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink
  38. mje wrote:

Truthfully, very little maintenance is required. Wipe the gun down after use with a clean rag and a tiny amount of a depolarized oil, like Beechwood Casey Sheath. That’s about it. If the gun loses power after 5-10 years of shooting you might have it serviced or put a drop of silicone oil in the chamber.

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink
  39. Allyssa wrote:

does anyone know how much I can get for a Webley Scott Hurricane in it’s original box, looks as if it were never used? Where can I sell this? Is Ebay the best bet? Thanks

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink
  40. mje wrote:

Probably $200 or more. Ebay doesn’t accept airguns. I’d recommend the Yellow Forum Airgun Classifieds as a good place to sell and to research price:

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink
  41. paul luxton wrote:

lookn for a wmbly tempist great air gun some power to other 22 s av been shootn since a was a kid ma family let me have air guns at a earlly age sarted off with the gat n then the 177 then air riffle but the tempist is the gun of choice for me paul luxton mrluxton@hotmail.co.uk if anyone is sellin such a air gun

Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink
  42. JEFF MAXFIELD wrote:

I have a Hurricane .177, 30-40 years old,well warn but good shape I would be interested in selling,but only to a good home. Iwould not part with it but have parkinsons and am a danger to property-maxfield3576@roadrunner.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 4:22 am | Permalink
  43. JEFF MAXFIELD wrote:

MY E MAIL IS MAXFIELD3576@ROADRUNNER.COM

Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
  44. Darren wrote:

I live in New Zealand,and keen on buying a Webley Nemesis,and a Webley Tempest and/or Hurricane.my email address is moonieparone@gmail.com

Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink
  45. julian kozlowski wrote:

I am interested in buying webley tempest
    My email is adiospomidory@yahoo.com

Friday, November 4, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Permalink
  46. mike wrote:

Selling a hurricane 177 2set of grips all books and asscesories make an offer.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink
  47. Wingco wrote:

I am looking for a Webley air pistol preferably a .22 senior or similar email me if you can help

Friday, April 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink
  48. jarod wesley wrote:

i have a beeman hurricane for sale – looks good – works even better. make me a fair offer. i know what its worth, but i’ll take less.
    509-863-1006

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink
  49. Don Durham wrote:

Ijust took a webly huricane in trade in the box with all accesories.I believe the guy told me it was his dads in the 50’s.It shoots great .
    WHAT IS THE VALUE?It was unused AND WRAPED IN BROWN PAPER
    Don

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink
  50. mje wrote:

The Hurricane is basically a Tempest with a rear sight extension, and wasn’t made until 1975. A pistol in excellent condition with the box and all the papers might sell for $125-200 depending on the year. Right now all gun prices seem t be a bit depressed due to the economy.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink